Recipe from Turkey River Farm
A simple recipe to shake up your winter squash routine! Any combination of apple and dried fruit will do here, use whatever you have on hand. Ingredients:
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tart baking apples, peeled, cored, diced (about 2 1/3 cups)
- 2/3 cup apple juice or apple cider
- 1/2 cup dried currants or raisins
- 8 1-inch-thick unpeeled acorn squash rings (from 2 medium), seeded
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 12 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon curry powder; stir 1 minute. Add apples, apple juice, and currants. Sauté until liquid evaporates, about 6 minutes. Season filling to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Melt 5 tablespoons butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon curry powder; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer curry butter to bowl. Brush 2 large rimmed baking sheets with some curry butter. Arrange squash rings in single layer on sheets. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Scoop filling into center of rings. Drizzle remaining curry butter over squash and filling (mostly on squash). Cover with foil. Bake squash rings until squash is tender when pierced with fork, about 40 minutes. Using spatula, transfer squash rings with filling to plates and enjoy!