Recipe from Turkey River Farm
I’ve made this dish with bulk venison Italian sausage; instead of sausage links I just form smallish patties and roasted them in the pan with the rest of the veggies according to the recipe. For a finishing touch, try chopping a handful of the mild fennel fronds and sprinkling on top of the dish right before serving.
- 1 delicata squash, scrubbed clean with ends and seeds removed (skins okay) and cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 1 large or 2 medium bulbs fennel, cut into wedges
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 5 (about 1 lb) hot or sweet Italian-style sausage links (optional — this recipe works well as a vegetarian side, too, if you decide to omit the sausage)
- 1/3 cup asiago or Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Toss the squash, fennel and onion with the olive oil. Place in an even layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- If using, add the sausages to the pan, and roast for 15-20 minutes, turning 2-3 times, until the vegetables are fork tender and begin to caramelize.
- Remove the pan from the oven, turn the broiler on high, and sprinkle the squash with the cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly, and the sausages are cooked through. Remove from the broiler, toss with dried cranberries, and serve warm.